The best way for you to lower your heating bills is to use less fuel – and Bioheat® Fuel New York and Upgrade & Save UNY want you to save up to 40 percent.
- Upgrade to a new, high-efficiency Bioheat® Fuel heating system. NYSERDA has recorded savings of 48.3 percent when homeowners upgrade to a new, high-efficiency boiler. And now you can save up to $950 when you upgrade.
- It has been estimated that for every dollar invested in energy efficiency through the ENERGY STAR® program, Americans saved $4.50 on their energy bills and prevented more than 35 pounds of greenhouse gas emissions. Since 1992, ENERGY STAR® has saved Americans $362 billion dollars on utility bills.
- Ask your local Bioheat® fuel dealer (find a dealer now) to tune up your heating system annually, and save up to 10 percent each year.
- Upgrade your Bioheat® fueled burner and system controls for a cost effective way to increase your system's efficiency.
- Install outdoor reset controls to modulate your boiler's heat output based on the temperature outside. Your boiler water will be hotter on colder days, and more moderate on warmer (fall or winter) days - this conserves fuel, gives you a more consistent indoor temperature, and saves you money!
- Set your thermostat back when you leave the house or go to sleep. Better yet, install a smart thermostat that will learn your home heating requirements, so you don't have to remember - and reduce your heating and cooling bills by up to 10 percent.
- Lower the temperature of your water heater to 120° and save up to 5 percent in water heating costs for each 10° reduction.
- Use the sunshine to warm your home - open your window shades and drapes during the day, and close them at night to keep the heat in.
- Don't use space heaters - they are dangerous and expensive.
- Speak to your Bioheat® Fuel dealer about insulation and weatherization to close gaps in your attic, basement or walls.
- Weatherstrip around windows and doors.